Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why Do We Torture Ourselves?

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. KJV

God never intended us to do this alone.

Definition of ALONE
1: separated from others : isolated

'Alone time' is nice. Isolation is torture.

The invention of social networks and such stems from a worldwide desire to connect with other human beings. Before texting or email, there was always a form of letter writing. We want contact with others.

So why, as Christians, do some me feel the need to isolate ourselves? For me personally it's fear of being too needy, getting on peoples nerves, or even seeming whiny. Whining is an all time pet peeve of mine, so I really don't want to come across as whiny.

But like a moron I let it get to the isolation point and I make myself miserable, all for fear of what people might think of me if I dare ask for help/companionship. Even in the smallest way.

Other verses we can slap ourselves in the face with are:

Genesis 2:18 ESV
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”
This is of course talking about marriage, but you get where I'm going with this.

Proverbs 18:1 ESV
Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment.
Ouch. I don't want to be one to break out from sound judgment.

John 3:16 ESV
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."
The best gift Almighty God gave us, was a companion, a Savior that we could call 'friend.'

Acts 2:1-47 ESV
'When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven....'
Crazy awesome stuff happens when we come together with a common goal.

As far as seeming too needy/whiny when asking for something, I can always rely on the Holy Spirit to keep me in check on that issue.

Example:
Right after I had my third child, I was sitting in my bed whining to God (because I wouldn't dare whine to another person) about how tired I was emotionally and physically. I stopped for a millisecond and heard a still, small voice say 'Stop whining and grow up.' I'm serious. He got pretty stern with me. I sat up straight (I was all hunched over in whine mode) and thought 'Yea, I probably should.' And I now have that always in my spirit whenever I start talking to a friend about something that's bothering me. If I feel the need to 'vent,' I say what I have to say, and that's that. I don't harp on it for the next three conversations I have that day. When I vent, I hope to find a solution to what ails me, if there is one.

Companionship is especially, from what I gather, vital to us womenfolk. For the most part, we are the talkers...for the most part. I love a friendship where both parties can keep one another in line without one or the other getting offended.

So remember:

WE WERE NEVER MEANT TO DO THIS ALONE.

Have a nice 'whine free' week, full of fellowship, folks.

1 comment: